Diving into D-STAR – 2

CC By-SAOpen in new tab regular

2) Choosing a mode forward

Given all the interesting options that are available, how do yous actually choose which combination of radio, hotspot, and software to use?

Time to choose one of the forks in the path
Fork in a woodland path
past MarclSchauer, ShutterstockOpen in new tab

For me, this involved first doing lots of reading and watching lots of videos (come across Links to helpful resourcesOpen in new tab regular on the Notes folio at the finish of this article).

Then an Elmer tutored me. A shout out to the late Starr Aldrich, N0AES, of the Longmont Amateur Radio ClubOpen in new tab regular, who generously spent a skillful flake of time patiently answering my questions.

Adjacent I came across some enthusiastic hams in southern Colorado, the Parker Radio AssociationOpen in new tab regular, who are doing lots of fun digital radio-related work. Their site helped me gain a broader perspective virtually digital radio.

The Charlotte Digital Radio GroupOpen in new tab regular is another group doing amazing work with digital radio and posting good information. See their ContentsOpen in new tab regular page.

Finding all of these resources was a bit like being tossed a life saver … I was still in the soup, just at least my head was finally above h2o!

As one of my Elmers, George, KA0BSA, says, "When people ask me what ham radio is, I say it is a learning curve."

2a) Answering iii key questions

One of the main things I've learned is that choosing a correct way forwards comes downwardly to answering a few key questions, the most of import of which is:

i) Which systems do the people you want to talk with use?

Because the various digital voice systems tin be largely incompatible, in many cases you lot'll want to be using the aforementioned system as the people yous desire to talk to. Knowing which base of operations system you want to focus on tin help you eliminate hotspots that don't support that system.

Beyond that, as much as is possible I'd besides like the flexibility to explore other systems, so the next fundamental question is:

2) How close to the cutting edge tin can you travel comfortably?

On one end of the spectrum is today's world of personal technology, which pretty much spoils the states. The most complicated matter nosotros demand to do is figure out which Bone we want to purchase into. And then we simply download and install some apps and at most tweak a few easy settings. Subsequently that, it all pretty much merely works.

On the other end of the spectrum are the SuperNERD geniuses designing and soldering their own boards, writing their own apps, and putting up repeaters.

Alas, I'g not a SuperNERD. While I'm willing to practise some exploring closer to the cut border, I likewise know I should avoid solutions whose descriptions include terms like "experimental" or that require SuperNERD powers.

SuperNERD ... NOT!

For example, the description of an early iteration of a multi-mode modem board in one of the PRA presentations says: "Requires deep experience in compiling and configuring software, and interfacing with hardware." Nope, not for me.

There's one last question I remember is worth considering:

three) Is the technology open?

For what information technology's worth, I prefer open up engineering. When engineering is open, more people can review it and contribute to its improvement and security. People also tin can use open up technology more easily to experiment and innovate.

This means I prefer DV radios and reflector systems that are open to those that are proprietary and closed. I besides prefer a hotspot that enables me to connect to multiple dissimilar reflectors over one that limits me to a proprietary system.

The openness factor is ane I e'er carefully weigh when making decisions about the applied science in which to invest my time and money. I still apply proprietary solutions, merely all other factors being relatively equal, I prefer an open one.

How would the Trojans have reacted if the Horse statue the Greeks gave them was made of glass and they could see right through it? They would have seen the malicious implants and removed them before letting the statue into their enterprise. That is my key thought about open-source software. Everyone tin examine the code and look for and remove vulnerabilities….

Bob Gourley, Cognitio co-founder, former Defense Intelligence Agency CTO

2b) Before doing annihilation else

At that place are a couple registration processes that can take a few days to complete, so it'south a good idea to go them started as presently every bit you can.

i) Register with the D-STAR Gateway System

To fully use the gateways on many D-STAR repeaters, you need to register with the D-STAR Gateway System, a organisation that shares callsign routing and other information across all the D-STAR repeaters inside the system. It's like shooting fish in a barrel enough to register, so information technology'south worth doing this right away.

The registration form

  • Read the D-STAR Cocky Registration InstructionsOpen in new tab regular.
  • Find the D-STAR repeater nearest to you that processes registrations. Meet the D-STAR Info website's repeater listOpen in new tab regular. Note: If you don't take a local gateway system to register with, y'all can use D-STAR Gateway System (REGIST)Open in new tab regular.
  • It'southward important to register but once and with only ane D-STAR Gateway. Your registration will be shared across the system. Once more than: THIS IS IMPORTANT! If you register with ii gateways, it can really mess things up for you when you start trying to use D-STAR.
  • When you register, yous can add upward to viii radios, each distinguished by an initial that follows your callsign, and then that when you transmit, the radio you lot're using can be identified.
    • The first radio y'all register must exist your callsign followed by an "initial" that is a blank space: utilise your spacebar to insert a bare space.
    • It'south totally optional whether you annals any other radios beyond the commencement i; in fact, some people think adding multiple radios confuses things and can cause problems, so they recommend against it.
    • The RPT selection is used ONLY for registering repeaters. You can use your own callsign to run a hotspot, which are Non considered repeaters.
  • Once your registration has been processed, double-check that you registered everything correctly: DStar-Gateway Registration CheckOpen in new tab regular.

ii) Optionally, annals with CCS7 for DCS (and DMR)

If you're going to exist using the DCS reflector system (or DMR), you also demand to register with an authentication and routing system chosen CCS7 (Callsign Communication Organization, 7-digit).

The DCS system uses the CCS7 ID number instead of your callsign, though its authentication service maps your CCS7 ID number to your callsign. The CCS7 organization is now the authentication system for multiple systems.

Registrations for everywhere—including North America, Due south America, Asia, and Oceania, Europe, and Africa—are now all handled by RadioID.netOpen in new tab regular.

The registration systems are administered by volunteers so be patient, it tin take a few days to receive your CCS7 ID.

2c) Choosing a D-STAR-capable radio

There are a bunch of expert D-STAR radios bachelor from IcomOpen in new tab regular and KenwoodOpen in new tab regular.

Because of my skilful experience with the Kenwood TM-V71A mobile radio, when I started getting curious about exploring D-STAR and and then saw that Kenwood had released a new D-STAR-capable HT, the Th-D74AOpen in new tab regular, I was intrigued.

My HT: Kenwood TH-D74A

I suspected the Thursday-D74A might exist a skillful choice for me, especially when I saw that the characteristic prepare also includes APRS with congenital-in GPS. Also nice: tri-ring, bluetooth and USB connectivity, and IP54/55 weatherproofing. And it has a colour screen, which isn't actually necessary, but sure is sweetness.

Once I got my hands on this radio, I rapidly grew to like it. I observe the way the interface is organized, particularly the bill of fare organization, really easy to use.

The menu screen for the TH-D74A

I did swap out the stock prophylactic duck for a Comet HT-224Open in new tab regular. However, one matter I didn't like about the new antenna was that, considering it is thinner than the stock one, it left a gap betwixt the radio's antenna seat (5/8″ ID) and the HT-224 (3/8″ OD). I solved that by getting a $0.26 rubber gasket (3/8″ ID × 5/8″ OD × ane/sixteen″ groove) at our local hardware store.

TH-D74A with a rubber gasket around the HT-224 antenna

I sliced off one side of the gasket with a razor blade, and information technology makes a perfect seal: it fits snugly around the antenna, and also fits downwards in the antenna seat opening squeamish and tightly. Sometimes, you just become lucky! I call up the gasket will assist preserve the radio'due south IP54/55 weatherproofing, and information technology looks better, likewise, making the antenna look like a more natural part of the radio.

I remember this radio is going to requite me years of opportunities to explore and enjoy many areas of analog and digital communication.

2nd) Choosing a hotspot

I and so needed to determine which hotspot to utilize. That'due south when all the smashing information from Elmer Starr too every bit some of the online info I came across really helped. I matter Starr recommended was to try a solution based on the piddling Raspberry PiOpen in new tab regular (RPi) calculator, every bit there are several hotspot boards and USB sticks that work with information technology. That struck me every bit a skillful direction to head since I had never played around with an RPi and take wanted an excuse to try one out.

Raspberry Pi 3

Every bit Thorin Klosowski writes in his Lifehacker.com commodity, What I've Learned From Tinkering With the Raspberry Pi for Five YearsOpen in new tab regular:

[T]he Raspberry Pi is far, far abroad from being every bit user friendly as a PC or Mac. That's a feature, not a bug. The Raspberry Pi is built to force yous to learn troubleshooting, and that's still one of my favorite things about it.

So I got an RPi 3B, and started tinkering with it. By default, it runs Raspbian OsOpen in new tab regular (Raspbian is a version of Debian Linux that was created for the Raspberry Pi). I'm quite impressed with what this little credit card-sized computer tin do. It even includes my favorite office suite, LibreOfficeOpen in new tab regular. Squeamish!

Then I turned my attention to the hotspot itself. There are many combinations of hotspot devices and software being developed past innovative hams, many of which support multiple digital vocalization systems including D-STAR, DMR, YSF, P25, NXDN, POGSAG, and multiple cross modes.

This is such a big topic that I've spun off an entire commodity describing how hotspots work and discussing the many available choices: Hanging out with hotspotsOpen in new tab regular.

Have fun choosing!

< Page 1 · Page three >