Tardily in July 2020 I found a modest roof rack trailer for sale in a neighboring town. It came with a canoe and the price was reasonable. I had been eyeing a trailer purchase for some time considering, well, let'due south non get into this at present. The reasoning is multi-faceted and warrants a separate post.

And then, I contacted the seller and nosotros met so that I could inspect the setup. The seller gave me what looked like a re-create of the Document of Origin. He asserted that this was all he had and he was able to register it. I rapidly wrote up a Beak of Sale, and I towed it domicile.

Up to this point, I hadn't really idea much about what it would take to register a trailer, other than that I wanted to practise information technology. Then the research started.

Registration Requirements

The RMV website does not really spell out the registration requirements for trailers purchased from an individual – they are the same as for other vehicles:

  • A completed Registration and Title Application
  • The previous owner'south certificate of championshipor the previous owner'southward registration and bill of sale for vehicles that are exempt because of its historic period
  • Applicable fee

The site further mentions that trailers with a gross weight of less than 3,000 pounds do non require a title (mine has 1,200). And the person registering must be present in person (lawful presence when registering/titling your vehicle).

With this information, I downloaded the application, filled it out, and printed it. There is likewise this checklist on the RMV site. Information technology mentions proof of insurance. I did merely a superficial search on insurance requirements for trailers, something that would come back and bite me afterwards.

The start striking that Google brought upward was an insurance site, and information technology said this:

Although information technology's not a legal requirement to maintain insurance on your trailer, …

At this point I stopped reading and decided that I wouldn't demand an insurance stamp on the application class. I had the rest – a bill of sale AND the certificate of origin signed over to me.

So I went to the website and began the procedure of getting an appointment at i of the RMV offices that were open during the pandemic. The ones that were open for concern to the public were all at least an hour abroad, so I decided I would take the Harley and pick the one with the nigh scenic ride – Plymouth, MA.

First RMV Visit

The earliest appointment that I found came with a 2 week wait time. I booked it. During those initial 2 weeks, I made several trips with the trailer and two canoes, a couple around boondocks to the Charles River, i to Lake Cochituate in Framingham on a busy summer weekend. I fabricated certain I had the paperwork with me. Luckily, I did not get pulled over, then I can't tell y'all what would have happened.

Cerberus, the mythical hound of Hades, garding the gates to the Underworld

Finally the appointment came. It was a warm August solar day and I arrived on time for my appointment. I was a petty irritated that at that place was a line of people wrapped around the building, but I wasn't in a hurry, and then I waited the 45 minutes or so until I was finally chosen within. Cerberus awaited me in the lobby and demanded to review my paperwork. Afterward a cursory glance, he pointed at my Certificate of Origin and said: "We don't take copies". I tried to explain that this was all the previous owner had given me, and that the trailer had previously been registered in Massachusetts, but he wanted no part of this. He would non let me in. I had to ride back with nothing accomplished, having wasted half a day in the process.

Regrouping

The things I looked into to resolve this were

  • reaching out to the seller again and ask him to double-check for the original title (negative) or his registration (also negative – already discarded)
  • researching the dwelling house-built path for trailers (seemed sketchy – I had ordered a listing of accessory parts from the manufacturer already that price more than what I had paid for the trailer, but would this be sufficient evidence?)
  • researching out-of-land registrations

The best option seemed to be to inquire a friend in New Hampshire to register it temporarily and then sell it back to me. With the NH registration, and then said many forum posts, I would be able to register it in MA.

Duplicate Certificate of Origin

Just only when I was about to attain out to my friend, I remembered that the folks at the manufacturer had been friendly when I ordered parts – shouldn't they be able to transport a duplicate certificate? I called, and – bingo. They took my information and promised to transport a duplicate Certificate of Origin. Meanwhile, I scheduled several new appointments at the RMVs in Worcester and Fall River (simply in example, using different electronic mail addresses and phone numbers).

A week passed and the envelope did not make it. Information technology seemed that they had forgotten to mail it. I cancelled my appointments and called over again. This time, advice worked better, and the letter with the new certificate arrived within a calendar week.

Second RMV Visit

In one case I had the document, I contacted the seller so that he could sign it over to me again. Unfortunately he was out of state and we could not come across until Friday that week. It was already late in August past at present. I scheduled more than RMV appointments, but I had establish out that the RMV in Milford, MA offered drop-off service for application packages and would turn them around in a few days, much shorter than the expect for an in-person appointment at some other location. Once I had the signature that Friday, it was three:30 pm. I checked the hours of the service center on their website – 9 to five pm – and was on my way with the Harley to the RMV office. I arrived there at 4:15 pm, only before I could get in line, I was told that drop-off packages were only accepted until iv pm. Then I rode home once again, having accomplished zippo – a familiar feeling by now.

Third RMV Visit

Undeterred, I returned starting time matter the following Monday morning, right when they opened. I already had the educational activity sheet and the bar lawmaking that I needed to browse with my phone from the Friday visit, and within 10 minutes I was inside.

Once over again, someone reviewed my awarding documents, and over again they were rejected. I learned that I needed an insurance stamp later on all, even though insurance was non required.

So I hopped on the cycle and went to the AAA office one boondocks over that would postage stamp my form. On the way there I was nearly killed, simply I fabricated it to the AAA. They were open for business without an engagement and willing to provide the required postage. I learned that, fifty-fifty though a policy it not required and there is no cost, a trailer rider needs to be added to the automobile insurance.

Fourth RMV Visit

Back to the RMV I went. I briefly considered registering there via SMS prior to leaving the AAA location, but dismissed the thought as something that could cause embarrassment if the wait was short and I wasn't there withal. Mistake. When I arrived, there were twenty people ahead of me.

And on the mode I lost the AM/FM of my Harley! I thought I would just order a replacement and not worry nigh information technology. This was another mistake – I had not just lost the antenna, just also the stud, and replacing information technology turned out to be a costly and complicated project. Once I realized this, I even returned that same evening and rode the stretch of Interstate 3 times, just I was not able to detect it again.

Anyway, the wait ended upward existence less than an hour and I was finally able to drib off my application packet late that Monday morning.

Fifth RMV Visit

Wednesday afternoon I received a phone telephone call that my awarding was processed and that, after payment, I could choice upwards my plate and registration. This was a 4:15pm. Knowing that it would take me xxx minutes to get at that place, I speedily sent payment and got in the motorcar (it was raining, so no riding that 24-hour interval).

The much coveted registration and (temporary) license plate
The much coveted registration and (temporary) license plate

I arrived at four:55 and stormed inside, mask on. My envelope was ready and I received

  • one temporary plate (they were out of metal license plates)
  • 1 temporary registration (to go with the plate)
  • the Certificate of Origin

The adult female who handed me the documents was kind enough to mention that the Certificate of Origin was not needed considering THEY HAD THE ORIGINAL ON FILE!

I broke out into a hysterical laughter. So much gas wasted.

Conclusion

The permanent plate will arrive in the postal service, I was told, so I won't take to go back again for this.

The take-away for others and myself for future trailer purchases and the Massachusetts trailer registration process:

  • If the trailer was registered in Massachusetts earlier, you Exercise Non NEED A CERTIFICATE of ORIGIN!
  • Practice not carp bringing a copy that the previous owner may have had – it volition confuse the heck out of RMV guard dogs
  • If your trailer was NOT previously registered in MA, you lot volition need the original or a duplicate Document of Origin, or the previous registration. Make sure yous have one or the other!